1. Socialize your Dog! Get pup
around as many different people, dogs and environments as possible.
Make them pleasant experiences!
2. Become the Alpha dog right away!
Somebody has to be in charge. Pup has to trust you as his leader to
3. Pup must learn to value your
attention highly. Donít always give it away for free! Make him earn
it, or it will dilute the power of training. The same concept applies
4. Keep your dog hungry for
training. Make sessions short and fun!
5. Timing is very important whether
you are correcting or rewarding your dog.
6. Consistency and repetition are
important to improve reliability of learned behaviors.
7. Reward (Praise, Pet, Treat) the
behaviors you would like to see repeated, and ignore the behaviors you
would like to see disappear.
8. Never repeat a command. It will
dilute the word, and the dog will get used to not responding the first
9. When teaching your dog anything,
try to set pup up for 100% success. Learning can be fun, if pup
succeeds. Make it easy for them.
10. Never train with your dog if you
are angry or under stress. Animals can sense this and it will hinder
the training process.
11. Never hit, kick, or scream at
12. Give pup fresh water and food
every day, shade in the summer, a warm place to stay dry in the
winter... And as much attention as you can.
13. Have your dogís license and
vaccinations kept up to date.
14. Bring your pets inside often,
and make them part of your family!